Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What better way to start off the new year, than with a large stack of newly acquired books to read? Yay!

Here is the list of books gifted to C (the Elf) this Christmas:
  1. The Battle of the Labyrinth, Rick Riordon (Percy Jackson series)
  2. The Last Olympian , Rick Riordaon (Percy Jackson Series)
  3. 10 Best Greek Legends Ever, Terry Deary
  4. Just Grace Walks the Dog, Charise Mericle Harper
  5. Star Girl,
  6. Shiloh, Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
  7. Rules, Cynthia Lord
  8. Sarah Plain and Tall, Patricia MacLachlan
  9. Holes, Louis Sachar
  10. Bud, Not Buddy, Christopher Paul Curtis
  11. Walk Two Moons, Sharon Creech
  12. A Year Down Yonder
  13. The View from Saturday, E.L. Konigsburg
  14. The Giver, Lois Lowry
  15. A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L’Engle
  16. A Wind in the Door, Madeleine L’Engle
  17. A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Madeleine L’Engle
  18. Many Waters, Madeleine L’Engle
  19. An Acceptable Time, Madeleine L’Engle
  20. The Green Gables Collections 100th Anniversary Edition, L.M. Montgomery
  21. The Draw 50 Way, Lee J. Ames
  22. Sound and Light, Ontario Science and Technology
  23. The Stroogle Sails the Seven Seas, Dr Cameron Stelzer
  24. Animaze, by Wendy Madgwick and Lorna Hussey

After all the gifting and visiting and feasting of Christmas Day, C began to read The Battle of The Labyrinth (which she insists on pronouncing LAY-bee-rinth).
Boxing Day was spent reading.
Well, HER day was spent reading.
M and I were preparing dinner and the house for my family who came for dinner and overnight.

On the 27th, she moved on to The Last Olympian.
In the car on the way to St. Catherines on the 30th, she read Just Grace Walks the Dog and 10 Best greek Legends Ever.
Somewhere in between we read Star Girl together, until she lost interest and I finished it by myself.
I’ve also read Holes and Rules.
I am looking forward to starting the Madeleine L’Engle series together.
Right now however, C is already re-reading her new Percy Jackson’s (after re-reading books 1-3) and is naming all her new stuffies after Greek Gods!! We have Artemis the Elephant, Aphrodite the Kitten and Zeus, the Hedgehog!

4 comments:

Bibliomama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bibliomama said...

My son got The Lightning Thief for Christmas and is just finishing it. He's decided to do his speech on Greek gods. He kept talking about something called a say-der. It was a satyr.

I adore Madeleine L'Engle. Can't wait until my daughter is old enough for A Swiftly Tilting Planet.

alison said...

Leah got The Lightning Thief for Christmas, but hasn't started it yet. I'm curious to see what it's like, as I'm a big fan of the author's Tres Navarre P.I. series for adults.

Leah and I are reading "Silver on the Tree" together -- the fifth and final book in Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" series.

Rachel ping-pongs back and forth between picture books and Junie B. Jones books.

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Om Mama said...

My girl is quite excited to see the Lightning Thief when it hits the theatres next month! ("When is President's Day, Mom?"... a few minutes later, "What IS President's Day,Mom?")

I have been enjoying the series. At first I found the first person perspective hard to get used to, but Riordan seems to make it work well.