Thursday, November 26, 2009

What We're Reading November 26

Well, we’ve pretty much wrapped up our reading from our large haul from the library a couple of weeks back. It’s a good thing too as the books are due back on Saturday. Normally this would be a good opportunity to get more books while returning the old ones, however, I am singing in the Westben Theatre’s concert of The Wind In the Willows on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, so the library trip will have to wait until next weekend.

Last weekend I was so very fortunate and excited to have performed two wonderful concerts and a dress rehearsal as part of the Westben Festival Chorus along with the Youth and Teen Choruses. Of course, the highlight of the performances has been the narration of Kenneth Grahame’s The Wind In the Willows by Canadian Stage and movie actor, Tom McCamus. We are truly honoured to share the stage with him and the creative, expressive talent he delivers through his resonant, baritone voice.

Since my little Book Elf has been through all her library books, she has begun to reread the Chronicles of Narnia. I think she is currently in the middle of Voyage of The Dawn Treader.

I’ve also read all the library picture books to my preschoolers, so have gone back to my personal collection. This week our theme has been winter birds. One of my choices for a circle time book was Without You by Sarah Weeks (one of my preferred children’s storybook authors) which is a story about fatherly love and Emperor Penguins. This story also appears in song format on one of my much loved children’s cd’s put out by Ms. Weeks called I'm An Animal.


I'm thinking that we will be looking for the Wind In the Willows on our library trip next weekend.

1 comment:

Mary Lynn said...

The concert sounds so cool! I've seen McCamus in a few plays.

I used to sing in high school....I miss it.